Saturday, January 21, 2006

Here We Go Again...

Firstly, I apologise for the lack of updates. I've not had anything remotely interesting to blog about really!

Got my letter from LUL today advising me that I was unsuccesfull in my application for Instructor. Strange, but every male driver I've spoken to at work has also been rejected... It's funny how every female who applied has made it to the shortlists!
Good old 'positive discrimination'. I don't know why the hell I bothered applying, as I knew it would only be females who were picked.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the women I work with! They're just as competent in their jobs as I am. The point is why should they automatically be promoted simply because they're women?
Will I kick up a stink? I feel like doing so at the moment, especially as my wonderful, ever-loving management have now decided that they want to end the remote booking on and off dispute at Acton Town by bully-boy tactics.

Their idea is that they'll get rid of a large amount of drivers from Acton Town by moving them to Earl's Court. Without any choice. Without a say in the matter.
As yet, we don't know who yet, but to be honest if they tell me I'm moving to Earl's Court, I'll be tempted to tell them to stick their job up their arse. I'm already very pissed off with life without someone forcing me to move to a depot I don't want to go to.

Maybe I should speak to my doctor for some anti-depressants because lately I just feel so bloody low, and getting that rejection letter from LUL hasn't helped. At least now I know that I have no chance of promotion because I'm a white, straight male I'll not feel so bad about giong on the sick if I have to, although that is another reason for me being pissed off.
LUL have decided to introduce new attendance policies without consulting with the unions. These policies are quite harsh compared to previous policies, but really should only affect those people who are regularly on sick or come to work late, of which I am very rarely either.

However, watch out for more strike threats from both the RMT and ASLEF.

4 Comments:

Blogger Barry Hensey said...

Try not to feel down about the Instructor Operator thingy, I've also had quite a few rejection letters over the last couple of years.

Have a word with your TOM about spending some time with other IO's and DMTs and I'm sure they'll do all they can to help.

Hasn't there been any agreement over the remote booking on at Acton yet? I remember Tim O'Toole saying at the 'Time to Talk' event that he wanted to see that dispute resolved ASAP.

If you fancy meeting up for a few beers drop me an e-mail or stop by the station.

2:53 am  
Blogger DistrictDriver said...

Cheers, station master! Tim O'Toole wasn't joking when he said he wanted the dispute resolved! He's simply given our Line General manager a big stick!

A few beers sounds like a very good idea, although it'll have to wait until we've been paid!! I'll email you in a few weeks (got more A/L coming up!)

4:50 pm  
Blogger Shola said...

Don't give DD, it might be that the management are trying all tactics to get rid of older drivers so new (cheaper) drivers can be employed! Just my thought.

11:04 am  
Blogger DistrictDriver said...

Hey Shola, you may be onto something there! To be honest, I wouldn't put anything past our management at the moment.

Tube Dude: You are completely correct of course. I'll get over my problems, and I'm sure I'll feel better next pay day.
As for a meet-up in Newcastle, sounds like a good idea to me! I'm up there for a week next week... Ah, pints for only £1.10 at my local Working-mans club!

5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home