Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year - Same Old Whinge!

One of my new years resolutions was not to whinge as much. I'm not always whinging, but looking back over my blog, I'm quite embarassed by the amount of whinging I seem to do!

However, I was hoping that the signallers would have had the new years resolution to actually think before routing trains in front of me.
The prime example was last night. The Piccadilly line was completely screwed because of a defective track somewhere at the north/east end of the line. I am approaching Acton Town and am held at the home signal. I notice a Piccadilly line train in our platform. Nothing unusual about that, except I can see he has a green signal and isn't moving. I can also see the platform is VERY full.
I contact the controller who is as frustrated as I am! He informs me that the train in the platform is awaiting relief, but alas there is none.

After about 10 minutes, I notice the train is moving! Hooray! But the sadistic signaller has other ideas! Instead of running me straight in and out of Acton (and by now, District trains are queueing behind me back to Stamford Brook), he still holds me while another empty Picc train comes alongside and promtly get a green signal into my platform again.
The controller again apologises and informs me that there is no relief for that train either!
Another 10 minutes pass and he's still sitting there without a driver. The platforms at Acton are getting busier and busier. I can hear my passengers getting restless (and I don't blame them), and all I could do was apologise to them on the PA.

Eventually, train number 2 moves and I am on my way. 25 minutes I sat at that red signal! Why oh why could the signaller not have routed the two Piccadilly trains who he knew would have no relief through their own platform at Acton to save completely screwing the District as well as the Picc? I will be putting in a 'trainmans report' about that, but as usual, nothing will happen.

Anyway, when I arrived into Acton Town platform, it becomes apparent that there has been no Piccadilly line train towards Heathrow for over half an hour, and no train on the Rayners Lane branch for almost TWO HOURS! I saw one of my colleagues on the platform at Acton who had booked off at around 10.30pm (it was now just after midnight) and was still waiting for a train home. He joked that he'd probably still be waiting on the platform when I'd been to Ealing Broadway and stabled the train in the depot and walked back to Acton to book off. Sure enough, he was right!
We stood for about another 20 minutes before someone decided that maybe they ought to run a train towards Rayners Lane.

This was very poorly handled by the people who should be controlling the railway. I know there was a track defect which caused problems, but surely there must have been a train somewhere which could have filled the gaps in the service a bit? Especially considering that yesterday was the first day of an exhorbitant price rise for anyone not using an Oyster Card.

Anyway, now that's off my chest, I'll try not to whinge as much... However my other resolution was to stop smoking, and I've broken that one already too!

5 Comments:

Blogger 3.1 said...

Nooo! Resist the ciggarette! Resist, I tells you!

6:25 pm  
Blogger DistrictDriver said...

Christine, many thanks for that website! I'll check it out and hopefully be able to give up these awful, smelly things! (Typed with a cigarette hanging out side of mouth).

I'll mention on my blog how I'm getting on!

Version 3-point-1 thank you for your encouragement!

8:59 pm  
Blogger Jackal said...

After 24 years, I quit smoking 2 months ago. The first 4-5 days were a bit tough, but after that it got easier. Sitting in the pub drinking without smoking was the hardest part for me in the beginning.I looked at smoking as a habit and not as an addiction. I taught myself new habits to replace the old. Now I barely even think about lighting up. Make sure you tell everyone you know you're quitting. The idea your friends would be disappointed in your failure and weakness, is good motivation not to fail. Good luck to you and stay strong.

6:48 pm  
Blogger Jon Allen said...

No wonder there are such problems
on the district line when
stuff like that happens.
Anyone we can complain to
on your behalf ?

8:09 am  
Blogger yorkshiregoth said...

Are you driving the last trains tonight? Or 004 perhaps?

2:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home