Thursday, June 23, 2005

What a day!

If you were a passenger on the District Line today, you have my sincere symathies.
When I booked on at about 1530, there were 'minor delays' reported on the Wimbledon branch because of a signal failure at East Putney.
About 10 minutes later, the Wimbledon branch had been suspended because of a fire alert... Not good heading towards the peak, and with Tim Henman playing at Wimbledon.

Anyway, the fire alert clears up, but the signal failure remains.

Then it is announced that there is a signal failure in the Mansion House area causing delays to the Circle and District lines.

Then, just as I'm arriving in Barons Court eastbound, there is a major problem at West Kensington, and I'm stuck in the platform for FIFTY minutes while it is sorted. In retrospect, I'm glad I was in the platform, because at least my passengers could jump on the Piccadilly line, whereas if I'd been between stations, we would have been very hot and sticky by the time we got into a platform.

It took me over four hours to get from Acton Town to Upminster and back to Earl's Court!

Then this evening, Tower Hill had a mjor signalling failure, meaning a shutdown and suspension of service between Earl's Court and Whitechapel.
Eventually this was also cleared, but then just as I was booking off, I heard the controller mention a signal failure at Barking!

I can only assume it must be the heat and humidity which is causing so many signal failures.

Anyway, I'm off until Tuesday now (cue the cold weather!) so that will probably be the next entry! Have a nice weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home