Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Bored!

Firstly, I'm glad to say that it looks like the Northern line will actually start running a 'reasonable' service from later this morning! I assume the trains have been modified and extensively tested so they're safe to run again.
I notice that the drivers have been getting some stick on the Evening Standard forums. This really makes my blood boil! only a few months ago, we were heroes for helping rescue people trapped on trains and evacuating the system etc, and now we're all back to being "overpaid, underworked idiots" (to quote one poster on the forum).
I wonder how it would have been had this problem not been discovered, or the drivers still drove the trains with this problem and we had a crash resulting in many deaths? I assume that would have been our fault as well?
Being a tube driver requires an extremely thick skin these days, because no matter what we do, it's always wrong.

Anyway, now that's off my chest, what a boring few days I've had! I was working on Sunday when we had the engineering works in the Hammersmith area, which meant most Acton drivers were simply operating a shuttle service between Acton Town and Ealing Broadway. How boring was that?!
On the subject of the engineering work (and you can find the official information about it HERE because it's happening again next weekend), what a farce those replacement buses are!
The District is suspended between Acton Town and Earl's Court, and the Picc is suspended between Acton Town and Hyde Park Corner.
The replacement buses are operating from Acton Town to Hammersmith, then if you want to go to Earl's Court you have to plod over a few streets away to get on another bus which doesn't go to Earl's Court, but to West Brompton! Then you have to plod down to West Brompton station to get the train to Earl's Court!
Anyone with luggage has my sympathy! I suggest that anyone heading into central London goes to Ealing Broadway and take the Central line, changing where neccesary to complete your journey... Unless you're feeling particularly brave (and have a few hours to spare!)

By the way, could I say thanks to one of my nightshift colleagues who took me off my train at Acton Town tonight... He stabled my train for me so I could catch the last Piccadilly line train home instead of waiting another hour for the staff cab! Much appreciated, Ray!

3 Comments:

Blogger 3.1 said...

http://ichat.thisislondon.co.uk/messageboards/threadnonInd.jsp?forum=18&thread=222934&message=611532
I was rather shocked at the amount of abuse the general public had to offer here. From praising drivers and staff to slating them... god. Some people don't waste any time.

I've been trying to look out for you on the Tube, but I don't know what you look like so it's pointless. :p I don't know whether you ever see me though - I usually get District in London or just West Ham on Saturdays in the late afternoons (I'm usually at the front of the platform), and then late on Saturday night back to East Ham. Sometimes I'll get in the front carriage on the way back and I say 'Hi' to the driver, so if you ever get anybody saying 'Hi! Have a nice night!' that'll probably be me!

Argh. Pointless rambling... Bye!

3:49 pm  
Blogger DistrictDriver said...

Strangely enough, I always keep an eye out for you too!!
I'm always on lates, usually have the cab light on all the time and am rapidly going bald (stress of the job!)...
I'll see if I can find a photo of myself and email you so you know who you're looking for!!

1:54 am  
Blogger Craig said...

you alright my friend? been MIA for 3 weeks...

5:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home